Dear Parish Volunteer,
In the fall of 2003, the Archdiocese of Baltimore began a screening and education process for volunteers who have significant contact with children and youth. You may have heard of it; it is called “STAND for the Protection of Children and Youth”. It is possible that you are already totally STAND compliant. If you received your STAND training though OLV Parish or School, you need not take any additional action. You are free to help with our program. If you have a STAND card from another parish or school, please contact me immediately by phone or e-mail. You may not assist in our program until you complete some very minimal paperwork. The STAND video doesn’t have to be viewed again.
However, if you have never been involved in any level of STAND compliancy, I am asking at this time that you begin the process; it is very simple. Click on the link on this website and follow the instructions. Someone in our Soccer Program will see that you are given reference forms to pass on to those individuals you have identified on your application. Whenever you submit the paperwork, please do so in a sealed envelope to protect your privacy. Mark the envelope: “STAND paperwork”. You are not STAND compliant until you have completed an application, submitted three reference forms and a Volunteer Criminal History Screening form. In addition, you must take the video-assisted training and print out your certificate. Once all of your paperwork has been processed, you will receive your STAND card in the mail. Please keep this card with you at all times. Only then are you able to work with the children.
Thank you for all you do for the families of our Soccer Program!
With the Lord’s peace,
(Mrs.) Gloria A. Smith
Director of Religious Education/Parish STAND Coordinator
What is it and why is it important?
STAND Training is mandatory training for all those wishing to work in ministry with youth and children. This process ensures the safety, protection, and care of minors and is an Archdiocesan requirement for anyone interacting with children in the Church, professionally or voluntarily.
The Archdiocese of Baltimore’s safe environment (STAND) training is available online. The course takes approximately 1.5 - 2 hours to complete. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be able to print a certificate of completion.
Dear First Time Volunteer,
Thank you for your interest in serving as a volunteer at Our Lady of Victory Parish and the Archdiocese of Baltimore
have a commitment to maintaining the trust of the faithful by providing our children and youth with safe environments
characterized by healthy relationships. With our longstanding commitment in mind,
all parishes and archdiocesan Catholic schools use Shield the Vulnerable,
a compliance management system that allows all parishes and schools to facilitate compliance with archdiocesan child protection requirements
for all volunteers who work with minors, employees, and clergy.
Please register as a Our Lady of Victory Parish volunteer at www.shieldthevulnerable.org.
1. Select First-Time Signup
2. Select Catholic Dioceses
3. Select Baltimore Archdiocese, then select Confirm
4. You will then see a letter from Archbishop Lori. After reading his letter, select NEXT.
5. User Login Data section: You will create your own login-ID and password. Once all requested information is completed, select Next Step.
6. Affiliation section: Select Volunteer as User Type.
7. Select the appropriate Location Type, Where Located, and Location Name.
8. Because you are working with children, select Substantial contact w/children. However, if you also will be driving children as part of your volunteer service, then select Drivers with contact. Then select Next Step.
9. You will be asked, “Do you volunteer at another location?” If you will be serving at another location, repeat steps 6-8 for that location.
10. Application Info section: You will be asked, “Are you a new volunteer?”
11. Answer the three questions for volunteers/employees and provide three references. Then select, Next Step.
12. Summary/Confirm section: Review your information. If it is correct, select Accept and then Confirm Signup.
13. Background Check Registration/Criminal History Screening: Complete the background check form and authorization.
Enter your electronic signature, then choose I Consent to the Background Check or I DO NOT Consent to the Background Check.
(If you do not consent to the background check, you may not serve as a volunteer who will have substantial contact with children.)
14. Next you will need to complete Protect the Children: STAND online training.
15. Once you have finished the training, you will be asked to read the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s child and youth protection policies: A Statement of Policy for the Protection of Children and Youth and the Code of Conduct for Church Personnel in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. You will be asked to answer questions about the policies.
Thank you for your service to our Parish and especially for your commitment to the children and youth.
Peace of Christ,
Gloria Smith, Screening Coordinator
What are the requirements for training?
- Archdiocesan Application for Volunteer Service completed and reviewed
- Three (3) references provided, checked, and documented
- References for service and/or employment with any previous archdiocesan parish, school, or institution checked and documented
- Volunteer Select Criminal History Screening form completed and submitted to VolunteerSelct OR (if a volunteer does not have a social security number) CJIS/Fingerprint Check application submitted
- Volunteer receives and reviews the Statement of Policy for the Protection of Children and Youth
- Volunteer receives and reviews the Code of Conduct for Church Personnel of the Archdiocese of Baltimore
- Volunteer receives training regarding child abuse and the protection of children. Training Verification form completed.
- Volunteers 18 or older must view the STAND training video
- Volunteers between 14 and 17 must view the Worthy of the Call training video
Last Updated ( Saturday, 15 August 2015 11:18 )